Early in Term 3, I began with a goal in mind, to make something that the elderly would find useful. In Term 3 week 4 around there, my original question was to think about how the elderly are challenged by obstacles. I further refined that question down to mobility obstacles. But after much though, I realized that not all elderly are very active, and that challenges in the home are more abundant and thus, easier to think of and solve.
From there, I thought about what objects in the home challenge the elderly. Before that, I thought about how some elderly suddenly let go of their utensils during eating. This came up to me as a problem. I created a rubber handle as an add-on to utensils. The elderly of now use chopsticks, spoons and forks, but seeing as we are getting more modern, I think the elderly of the future will be using utensils like forks and knives.
If the elderly use utensils like that and suddenly let go of them, I believe that there will be many utensil related accidents in the future. I consulted with the local elderly expert (aka: my mom) and asked here what she thought of my product. After a while, I realized with all the features I had put on my product, it would still not stop the elderly from dropping their utensils. Thinking about that, I thought about how to prevent the elderly from dropping it, until I was reminded about rubber bands. Thus, I added a rubber band like device to my handle.
I made it so that it would be elastic and allow the elderly to have a safeguard against dropping it. Thus, this is my post about my process of coming up with this product, compressed into a single post.
Friday, August 6, 2010
I have decided to modify the EQ that i have chosen! Instead of focusing on the mobility obstacles, I have decided to focus upon the obstacles at home that the elderly face! Thinking it through, there have been many people who have created ideas to solve the mobility issue, but not many have decided to tackle the problems posed by common house objects, like cutlery.